Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Library Life

It seems strange, as I sit here tonight. The semester is over and the normally-crowded library is getting emptier and emptier. With a mountain of work to do... I find myself wishing I could leave all these books behind and get out of this place. It doesn't surprise me that so many students never complete their PhDs. It requires such determination (or a rather large bank account) to stay committed - with no immediate (or any definite long-term) reward. Just a few more weeks and this semester's work will all be behind me.
I normally feel much more positive about this whole PhD thing. I love it, it inspires me and challenges me. Just think, 6 months ago my understanding of the study of history and of my field was so different from what it is today. What will I be thinking after another 6 months? This is exciting! My mind is being forced to reshape itself and handle all different kinds of questions, problems and ideas - this is priceless! While most people I know have settled into an intellectual rut, I have the opportunity to keep growing. I am blessed! Now if I stop wasting time on this Blog, I might actually accomplish something useful...
gd nt

No comments: